About Me

My photo
There so much to say and even more to eat. Hence a blog for each was born.

Wednesday 30 April 2014

Dessert Pizza (say what?)


I have this fantasy of having my own wood fired pizza oven (impractical, I know). Having pizza parties where everyone chooses their own toppings and then bakes their very own pizza (So you can get it just right). That smokey, cheesy combo makes it one of my fav fast foods (cause that's the only way I can get a wood fired pizza, for now).


As much as I love the smokey flavour of the take out pizza, I love home cooking more. So whenever I make homemade pizza I am faced with the make or buy your pizza base. For the longest time anything involving dough or kneading would put me off (sort of my food nemesis), it just seemed like too much work, and that is how my search for perfect, but quick pizza dough recipe started. 



Pizza Dough (serves 3 - 4) recipe adapted from Making the Best of Baking by R. Makan and V. De Beer

Ingredients

800mls (400g) Sifted White bread flour (cake or wholewheat flour can be used)
7mls salt
10g instant yeast
10mls white sugar
200 - 250mls warm water (more for wholewheat)
60mls olive oil (garlic infused olive oil adds some extra flavour)


Method

1. Add flour, salt and sugar to bowl and stir with a whisk

2. Then add yeast add stir with whisk again. Make a well in the center



It's not supposed to look like dough yet


3. Add oil and enough warm water to make a soft pliable dough (I usually start with 230mls when I use white bread flour)



Doesn't look to good right now, does it? Work in progress.



4. Knead (electronically or manually) for about 8 - 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. (Must say I start noticing a difference at about 5 to 6 minutes. Hang in there! It can be very therapeutic.)



Voila. Smooth dough. (Didn't that feel good?)



5. Place in a greased bowl (grease with olive oil) and cover with clingfilm. Leave in a warm place till double in size (It took my dough about 30 minutes) 


They grow soo fast.


6. Divide the dough in half for a thick base and in quarters for a thin base (really just preference) Roll it into a circle to fit a 30cm round. You can roll it out to a guessitimate (made up word, I know Grammar Gastapo) of the size, place the dish upside down on the dough to make an impression and then cut it out using a sharp pointed knife. Place the rolled out base onto a greased pizza dish
         

The base of a spring form tin is a great substitute if you don't have a pizza dish


7.  Pre-bake for 10 minutes in a 180 degrees Celsius preheated oven.


Go on, take a victory lap. You deserve it.


Savoury / Dessert pizza - Add toppings and bake for a further 10 - 15 minutes on 180 degrees Celsius and serve.


Savoury pizza - tomato sauce, yellow pepper, pre-cooked chicken cubes, fresh shopped garlic, mozzarella, freshly ground black pepper and Italian herbs (in that order).


As good as it gets

Yes I said dessert pizza. All the rage over the seas at the moment. Go on try it for yourself.
My own concoction of cream cheese and Nutella, sliced banana brushed with melted butter and sprinkled with  brown sugar. Lastly topped with dark chocolate chips.


It's healthy! It's got fruit (bananas), nuts (Nut-ella) and vegetables (chocolate)








No comments:

Post a Comment