About Me

My photo
There so much to say and even more to eat. Hence a blog for each was born.

Friday 25 April 2014

The Design on Decorex 2014

I loved (past tense) attending Decorex (many moons ago), but it started becoming the same show every year (okay it was like two years in a row), so I stopped going. 

I am proudly South African. I believe in this country and the potential it has. I love that we are World Design Capital 2014 (WDC2014) and was intrigued that Decorex had tapped into this in their latest exhibition. I'm always on the lookout for fresh ideas to brighten the table. It doesn't always have to come from the pot or oven, but it can also come from what the meal is being served on. 

With this in mind I decided to give Decorex another try and off I went early this morning to be first in line. Except 100 other people had the same idea (Murphy's Law), but the wait to get in was definitely worth it.

I take my hat off to Decorex for showcasing such amazing South African Talent (Some of them from afar afield as KZN and EC). It's initiatives like this that will have a direct impact on job creation (This election has me going off on a tangent)

Here are my favourite picks from treasure trove at the Expo:



Bottle Decanter by Aidan Bennets - www.stable.org.za
100% Design South Africa



Tray by Julie Jue -  www.shineshine.co.za 
100% Design South Africa



Zulu inspired bowls
KZN-CDRP ART & CRAFT - mninizotrading@yahoo.co.za



Quirky Salt and Pepper Shakers
www.ceramicfactory.co.za



Creative Clay 
Zizipho Poswa - www.imisoceramics.co.za



Adding fun to mealtimes
www.Koziol.de (only imported item on my list)




Serving Dish (No it's not meant for elephant)
Meshacks Ceramics - 073 596 1341



 Bowl with Chopstick Holder (So cool that it makes me wanna cook up an oriental storm)
www.capecraftanddesign.org.za



Vintage Scale 
www.capecraftanddesign.org.za



Platter with Bowl
Eastern Cape Handmade Collection - www.ecdc.co.za



Alice in Wonderland Inspired cake stand
Laurett Russo - www.laurett.co.za



Inspiring Cutting Boards (how very Alanis Morisette)
handsdesigncollective@gmail.com

Most of theme items are only available in the WC at the expo. Go check it out and support being proudly South African (Cue National Anthem).






















No comments:

Post a Comment