About Me

My photo
There so much to say and even more to eat. Hence a blog for each was born.

Wednesday 10 September 2014

ZZ2 Little Rascal Challenge

A few weeks ago I received my very first hand delivered package and it was filled with these little juicy tomatoes. The challenge put forward was to come up with your own, unique recipe utilising some or all of the tomatoes. 



Now if you like me thought all tomatoes are more or less equal then you have to try this range:
- I tossed Romanitas into my salad
- I made curries and sauces with the Rigoletta
- I snacked on the Romanitas

Silly me, I need to explain what they are:
- Romanitas are sweet, crunchy mini plum tomatoes

Image Sourced

- Rigolettas are the bigger, prettier sisters ;)

Image Sourced

After much dabbling and experimenting with my little rascals I came up with this recipe. 


Stuffed Tomatoes (serves 4)


Ingredients

1t olive oil
250g lean beef mince
1t fine salt
1 small chili, chopped finely
1t garlic and ginger paste
1t chopped coriander

1 red bell pepper, deseeded and sliced
1 medium red onion, peeled and segmented
2t brown sugar
3T olive oil

500g ZZ2 Rigoletta tomatoes
8t grated gouda


Method

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius

2. Heat olive oil in a pan to medium heat

3. Once heated add the mince, that has the salt, chili, garlic and ginger added to it already


4. Break up the mince constantly using the back of a wooden spoon to prevent sticking together. Remove from heat once done



5. Drain off excess water and add chopped coriander

6. Toss bell pepper, red onion, sugar and olive oil together. Place in casserole dish.


7. Slice the tops off the tomatoes using a sharp knife. Loosen the inside of the tomato with a sharp knife as well and then remove with a spoon.


8. Fill the empty tomatoes with the mince mixture and securely place it in between the vegetables.


9. Top each tomato with a spoon of grated cheese and place the dish in the oven for 30 minutes or until the cheese in golden brown

10. Serve on a bed of rice.




                                   Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment