The cupcake has been holding on to it's confectionery crown for nearly a decade. It had a close call with the macaroon and rumour has it that the cronut was planning a coup, but we didn't see anything in SA.
The cupcake is no spring chicken. She first appeared in the 18th century to a lukewarm reception. Apparently the gals from Sex and the City gave her a makeover and that's how the age of the cupcake began.
So what is it that makes them so irresistible?
1.We just love anything miniature, including cakes that fit into edible cups
2. They come in the most adorable shapes
3. And Sizes
And now after baking and testing many a cupcake recipes I present you with the ultimate cupcake recipe..................................................................................................
Perfect Vanilla Cupcakes (makes 15 - 18 cupcakes)
1 1/4 cups cake flour, sifted
1 1/4 tsp baking powder, sifted
1/2 tsp baking soda, sifted
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup buttermilk or (1/2 cup low fat milk plus 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice- add acid to the milk then set aside for 5 minutes before using)
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
2. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
3. In a bowl, whisk together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
4. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat 2 eggs with the whisk attachment on medium speed (15-20 seconds).
5. Add 3/4 cup sugar and continue to beat on medium speed (30 seconds).
6. Add vanilla and oil and beat on medium speed for 1 minute
7. Reduce mixer speed to medium/low and slowly add about half of the flour mixture. Add half of the buttermilk, then the rest of the flour mix and the rest of the milk. Beat until just combined and smooth, scraping down the sides of the mixing bowl. The batter should be thin.
8. Pour batter into a lined muffin pan. Fill to about 1/2 full.
9. Bake for 12 minutes at 180 degrees celcius or till the cake tester comes out clean. Let them cool in the pan for a couple minutes, then remove.
10. Ice once the cupcakes are cooled to room temp.
The icing is one of my own experiments.
Sour Cream Icing (frosts 36 cupcakes)
400mls icing sugar, sifted
30mls sour cream
125g butter,at room temperature and softened
1/2t vanilla essence
1. Whisk butter, essence and sour cream together till fully combined
2. Add icing sugar in 3 parts, ensuring each part is fully combined before adding the next
3. Frost the cupcake with the icing and decorate
|Baby shower themed cupcakes|
What do you think of my icing recipe?