Do you live to eat or eat to live?
I live to eat.
I saviour the entire sensory experience of eating. Picking out the most appertaining morsel, the smell wafting to my nostrils, the feel of the first bite in my mouth, the sweet sound of chewing and finally the Pièce de résistance, the taste.
The taste tickling my taste buds and setting off centres of delight in my brain. With some dishes waking up fond memories. Such as kebab and puri reminding me of Eid, haleem setting off memories of Ramadan (Muslim fasting month), candied apples reminding of holidays at my grandmothers and popcorn cones of nursery school.
There are very few things more gratifying than having chocolate in that moment just before you fall asleep. Or as a friend of mine would say "Chocolate cake is the breakfast of champions".
Today's recipe combines two of my favourite decadent addictions.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Brownies (makes 16)
(sourced from here)
200g good-quality dark chocolate, broken into pieces
200g unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4c brown sugar
1/2c cake flour, sifted
1/4c cocoa powder, sifted
1/2t baking powder, sifted
250g cream cheese, softened
1/4c castor sugar
1t vanilla essence
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease a 4cm deep, 16cm x 26cm dish or pan. Line with baking paper and allowing an extra bit to hang over on 2 opposite sides.
2. Place chocolate in a heatproof, microwave-safe bowl.
3. Microwave uncovered on Medium (50%) for 2 - 4 minutes. Stirring every 1 minute with a metal spoon, until fully melted.
4. Cream butter an sugar until pale, using an electing beater
5. Add 3 eggs, 1 at a time. Making sure to beat well after each addition.
6. Fold flour, cocoa and baking powder into the mixture until almost combined.Add melted chocolate and mix well.
7. Beat cream cheese, castor sugar and vanilla until soft and creamy in a clean bowl.
8. Add remaining egg and beat for 2 minutes.
9.Spread half the chocolate mixture over base of the prepared pan. Drop half the cream cream cheese mixture over it using heaped teaspoons
|Half way thru adding the cream cheese mixture|
10. Cover the cream cheese with remaining chocolate mixture (tricky part. So be very gentle here)
11. Dollop over remainder of cream cheese mixture. Make swirls using a butter knife.
12. Bake for 30 - 40 minutes or until skewer comes out with moist crumbs.
13. Allow to cool in pan. Use the hanging over bits to help lift the brownies out of the pan. Cut into squares and serve.
What are your favourite decadent addictions to saviour in the still of the night?